The mission of Schools And Families Engaged (S.A.F.E. TEAM on Campus) is to support family engagement and a safe-learning environment in every school so all students can achieve academic success.
Parent Engagement Keeps Students Engaged at School!
The positive benefits of parent/family engagement have been proven by research conducted by the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, Harvard Family Research Project, Annie E. Casey Foundation and Search Institute. Schools And Families Engaged recently partnered with America’s Promise Alliance as a component of their parent engagement initiative to reduce dropout rates by students achieving the A’s:
- Attendance regularly at school
- Attachment within a safer school environment
- Achievement by graduating
- Attainment by going on to post-secondary education or career readiness training
Safe School Environment a Must!
A safe school environment can oftentimes be a barrier to achieving the A’s. The National School Safety Center recommends that a security plan be prepared and that general security measures be taken to lessen the chances of school violence. 2 of their 9 points are:
- Volunteers from the community, as well as parents, should be used to help patrol surrounding neighborhoods and supervise the campus before, during, and after school.
- Access points to school campuses should be monitored during the school day. Access should be limited where possible. A single visitor entrance should be monitored by a receptionist or security officer and visitors should be required to sign in and wear an identification pass. Delivery entrances should also be monitored closely.
Value of S.A.F.E. TEAM® on Campus!
- Campus / Community / State Level Stakeholders Details
- Value of Volunteer Time – $21.36 per hour Details
- Principal / Administration / Faculty / Teachers Details
- Starting parents/family/community members as volunteers supports the research that students are more likely to ‘Attend’ school regularly, ‘Attach’ within a safer school environment, ‘Achieve’ by graduating and ‘Attain’ by going on to post-secondary education when adults are engaged with them in their education.
- Students Details
- See evaluation of the 40 Developmental Assets and the S.A.F.E. TEAM Program.
- Parents / Families
- Volunteer experiences allow parent/family/community members the ability to understand and value the educational environment/process.
- High School Student Volunteers
- Volunteer experiences allow student volunteers the ability to understand and value the educational environment/process and appreciate the need for parent/family/community members volunteering in their own secondary school.
- School Counselors Details
- The school counselor values the opportunity to engage with the family volunteers to support their mission of collaboration and developing attachment within the school community.
- Parent Involvement Coordinator
- Provides measurable results from active participation through volunteer/faculty feedback surveys and reporting to achieve your Parent/Family Engagement goals.
- Parent Group Details
- Group’s new members can become involved and developed as leaders for the parent group, as well as the program.
- SRO / DARE Officers Details
- Partner with parent and faculty groups/family volunteers to gain their support and understanding for the value of the school-based law enforcement program. This provides opportunities to share the message of personal responsibility at school and then be reinforced at home and within the community.